14.5.11

brown chicken brown cow

Blaze likes pillows. He really likes them... finds them very sexy I guess. When he was a puppy it was blankets but after he was fixed he lost interest. But every once in a while one of the sofa pillows beckons and he's powerless to its charms.

It doesn't happen often, and he seems quite embarrassed* when caught. He'll skulk off to compose himself and then reimerge all hey what's up? and carry on as if he wasn't just caught in a compromising position with a stuffed object.
(*comic use of anthropromorphization... I know he can't feel embarrassment)

This time the recomposure didn't go so well; his... bits wouldn't retreat. I found him a couple of minutes later on the landing just standing, looking confused. A quick glance was all I needed; he was stuck. In the ON position.

For some reason his posture bothered me and I've heard that having this body part stuck in the ON position - especially from constriction - can prove dangerous. So I thought I'd give him a couple of minutes alone to calm things down and then we'd see.

Still stuck. Still standing, confused. So I call the vets and for some reason after the receptionist confers with a tech on duty, recommends 'bring him in; right now'. I explain to the kids that they're on their own for feeding themselves (and it has to be more than just Cheerios; protein must be involved) and ready the dog to get him transported.

I had to lift him up into the car - front end, then back. I walk around the car to get in, and for some reason I decide to check on him just one more time. Maybe cuz he's sitting comfy now? Don't know. But his bits have settled back into the NORMAL operating position. I make him stand right there in the backseat of the car and yep, sure enough he's fine.

Retrace our steps, back into the house and unclip his leash. The kids are just getting bowls down for Cheerios and look over surprised. All clear I say as I start to dial the vets office.

No comments:

Post a Comment