ghost sign

G.A. Snider
from a plaque attached to the building (132-138 Bank St):

"The corner building, designated as a heritage building by the City of Ottawa, is a good example of late 19th century commercial architecture. Built in 1891 by William Cousens, its first tenants included a grocer, a shoe store, a florist, and a photographer, G.A. Snider, whose advertising sign is still visible. The Facade illustrates the importance of a corner site through the use of high quality masonry construction and decorative brick, stone and terra cotta. Its exuberant mix of Queen Anne and Italianate styles typifies the expansionary mood of the 1890s."

No comments:

Post a Comment